Abstract: Natural Products from medicinal plants either as pure or as a standardized extracts provide unlimited opportunities for new drugs because of the unmatched availability of chemical constituents. Since ancient times, natural products have been utilized to treat and cure chronic diseases like cancer, diabetes, asthma, anti-inflammatory, analgesic and as alternatives for hormone replacement therapy worldwide. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), more than 80% of the world's population relies on traditional medicine for their primary healthcare needs. Despite their widespread existence, the variety of bioactive natural products in natural medicines are not sufficient. Today, it is very crucial to develop effective and selective methods for the extraction and isolation of new natural products. The focus of this review paper is to provide a comprehensive view on the analytical methodologies, which include extraction, isolation and characterization of the natural products from medicinal plants and common phytochemical screening assays.
Keywords: Bioactive Compounds, Extraction Methods, Medicinal plants, Natural Products.
- Tonthubthimthong, S. Chuaprasert, P. Douglas and W. Luewisutthichat.(2011, March). Supercritical CO2 extraction of nimbin from neem seeds an experimental study, Journal of Food Engineering. 47 (4), pp. 289-293. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0260-8774(00)00131-X.
- Duraipandiyan, M. Ayyanarand S. Ignacimuthu. (2006, October). Antimicrobial activity of some ethnomedicinal plants used by Paliyar tribe from Tamil Nadu, India. BMC Complementary Altern. Med. 6 (35), pp. 35-41. http:// doi.org/10.1186/1472-6882-6-35]
- J. Roy Burman, "Tribal Medicine" 1st ed. A Mittal Publication, 2003, New Delhi, pp. 12.
- JX Li and ZY. Yu (2006). Cimicifugaerhizoma: from origins, bioactive constituents to clinical outcomes, Curr Med Chem. 13 (27), pp 2927-51.
- Liao, Y.M Jan, SY. Huang, HH. Wang, LL. Yu and CF. Chen. (1995, July). Evaluation with receptor binding assay on the water extracts of ten CNS-active Chinese herbal drugs, Proceedings of the National science Council, Republic of China. 19 (3), pp. 151-158.
- Ahmad, A.F.M. Alkarkhi, S. Henaand L.H. Lima. (2009, February). Extraction, Separation and Identification of Chemical Ingredients of ElephantopusScaber L Using Factorial Design of Experiment, International Journal of Chemistry. 1(1), pp. 36-49.
- Sandhya, S. Thomas, W. Isabel and R. Shenbagarathai (2006). Ethnomedicinal plants used by the valaiyan community of piranmalai hills (reserved forest), tamilnadu, india. - a pilot study. African Journal of traditional, Complementary and alternative medicines.3 (1), pp. 101-114.
- Pandey and S. Tripathi. (2001, January). Concept of standardization, extraction and pre phytochemical screening strategies for herbal drug, Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2(5), pp. 115-119.
- Bulugahapitiya,”Plant Based Natural Products Extraction and Phytochemical analysis”, self, 2013. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/324136585
- I.M. Njila, E. Mahdi, M.D. Lembe, Z. Nde and D. Nyonseu. (2017, May). Review on Extraction and Isolation of Plant Secondary Metabolites, 7th Int'l Conference on Agricultural, Chemical, Biological and Environmental Sciences. pp. 67-72. https://doi.org/10.15242/IIE.C051720.
- Q. Zhang, G.L. Lin and C.W. Ye. (2018, April). Techniques for extraction and isolation of natural products: a comprehensive review. Chinese Medicine. 13(20), pp. 1-26. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13020-018-0177-x.
- S. Rathi, S. L. Bodhankar and A.M. Baheti. (2006, November). Evaluation of aqueous leaves extract of Moringaoleifera Linn for wound healing in albino rats, Indian Journal of Experimental Biology. 44 , pp. 898-901.
- Brusotti, I. Cesari, A. Dentaaro, G. G. Caccialana, and G. Massolini. (2014, January). Isolation and characterization of bioactive compounds from plant resources: The role of analysis in the ethno pharmacological approach. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 87, pp. 218-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpba.2013.03.007
- S. Handa, S.P.S. Khanuja, G. Longo and D..D. Rakesh. (2008). Extraction Technologies for Medicinal and Aromatic Plants, 1stedn , no. 66. United Nations Industrial Development Organization and the International Centre for Science and High Technology. Italy.
- O. Majekodunmi. (2015, November).Review of extraction of medicinal plants for pharmaceutical research, Merit research journal of medicine and medical sciences. 3 (11), pp. 521-527. www.meritresearchjournals.org/mms/index.htm
- Bimakr et al. ( 2011, January). Comparison of different extraction methods for the extraction of major bioactive flavonoid compounds from spearmint (Menthaspicata L.) leaves. Food and Bio products processing.89 (1), pp. 67-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fbp.2010.03.002
- Vidyadhar, M. Saidulu, T.K., Gopal, D. Chamundeeswari, U. Rao, D. Banji( 2010, December). In vitro anthelmintic activity of the whole plant of Enicostemmalittorale by using various extracts. International journal of applied biology and pharmaceutical technology. 1(3) 1119-1125.
- P. Lv, W.H. Huang, F.Q. Yang, J. Li and S.P. Li. (2010, August). Pressurized liquid extraction and GC–MS analysis for simultaneous determination of seven components in Cinnamomum cassia and the effect of sample preparation. Journal of Separation Science. 33(15), pp. 2341-8. https://doi.org/ 10.1002/jssc.201000208
- Grigonis, P. Sivik, M. Sandahl and C. Eskilsson. (2005, March).Comparison of different extraction techniques for isolation of antioxidants from sweet grass (Hierochloeodorata). Journal of Supercritical Fluids. 33(15), pp. 223–233. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem 2004.08.006.
- Alupului, I. Calinecu and V. Lavric. (2012, January). Microwave extraction of active principles from medicinal plants, U.P.B. Science Bulletin, Series B. 74 (2).
- S. Patiland R. Shettigar. (2010, August). An advancement of analytical techniques in herbal research. Journal of Advanced Scientific Research. 1(1), pp. 8-14.
- Chemat, N. Rombaut, A.G. Sicaire, A. Meullemiestre, A.S. Fabiano‑Tixier and M. Abert‑Vian. (2017, January) Ultrasound assisted extraction of food and natural products. Mechanisms, techniques, combinations, protocols and applications. UltrasonSonochem. 34, pp. 540–560. http://doi/org/ 10.1016/j.ultsonch.2016.06.035.
- Jacob. (2012, November). Microwave Assisted Reactions in Organic Chemistry: A Review of Recent Advances. International Journal of Chemistry. 4(6), pp. 29-43. http://dx.doi.org/10.5539/ijc.v4n6p29.
- Trusheva, D. Trunkovaand V. Bankova. ( 2007, June). Different extraction methods of biologically active components from propolis: a preliminary study. Chemistry Central Journal. 1(13). https://doi.org/10.1186/1752-153X-1-13
- W. Altemimi, D.A. Lightfoot, M. Kinsel and D.G. Watson. ((2015, April). Employing response surface methodology for the optimization of ultrasound assisted extraction of lutein and β-carotene from spinach, Molecules. 20 (4), pp. 6611-6625. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules20046611.
- E. Popova, C. Hall and A. Kubátová. ( 2008, November). Determination of lignans in ﬂaxseed using liquid chromatography with time-of-ﬂight mass spectrometry. Journal of Chromatography A. 1216 (2), pp. 217–229. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2008.11.063.
- Żwir-Ferenc and M. Biziuk. (2006). Solid Phase Extraction Technique – Trends, Opportunities and Applications. Polish Journal of Environmental Studies. 15(5), pp. 677-690.
- Sasidharan, D. Chen, K.M. Saravanan, Sundram and Y.L. Latha, (2010, October). Extraction, isolation and characterization of bioactive compounds from plants’ extracts. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med. 8(1), pp. 1-10. https://doi.org/: 10.4314/ajtcam.v8i1.60483
- Zhang, X. Pang, D. Xuewu, Z. Ji and Y. Jiang, (2005). Role of peroxidase in anthocyanin degradation in litchi fruit pericarp, Food Chem. 90, pp. 47–52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.food-chem 2004.03.023
- P. Ingle, A.G. Deshmukh, A.D. Padole, S. Mahendra, S.M. Dudhare, P.M. Moharil and C.V. Khelurkar. (2017). Phytochemicals: Extraction methods, identification and detection of bioactive compounds from plant extracts. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 6 (1), pp. 32-36.
- Kemp.( 1991). Energy and electromagnetic spectrum: In Organic Spectroscopy. 3rdedn. Macmillan Press, London .
- L.Eberhardt, X. Li , T.F. Shupe and C.Y. Hse. ( 2007, April). Chinese Tallow Tree (SapiumSebiferum) utilization: Characterization of extractives and cell-wall chemistry. Wood Fiber Science. 39(2), pp. 319-324.