Abstract: Characterization methyl ester sulfonate of coconut oil has been done. In this research the characterization of methyl ester sulfonat (MES) that were observed include the influence of the ratio of moles of reactant against MES, viscosity influence reaction time against MES, viscosity ratio of moles of a reactant influence against the density of MES and the influence of the reaction time toward the density of MES. The measurement is carried out using equipment viscometer Brookfield and Density Meter DMA 4500M. The results showed that the condition of the production process of methyl ester surfactant sulfonat shows that the best conditions reached a ratio of moles of reactant 1:1.4; at long reaction 4.5 hours, viscosity 30.42 cP and density 0.9866 g/cm3.
Keywords: Characterization, sulfonate (MES), DMA 4500M, Brookfield, ratio, reactant 1:1.4;
1. Ahmad S, Siwayanan P, Abd Murad Z, Abd Aziz H dan Seng Soi H. 2007.Beyond Biodiesel : Methyl Esters as the Route for the Production ofSurfactants Feedstock. Inform (18) :216–220.
2. Roberts DW, Giusti L, Forcella A. 2008. Chemistry of Methyl Ester Sulfonates.Biorenewable Resources 5 : 2-19.
3. Gupta S dan Wiese D. 1992. Soap, Fatty Acids, and Synthetic Detergents. Didalam : Kent JA (ed). Riegel's Handbook of Industrial Chemistry. 9thEdition. New York : Van Nostrand Reinhold.
4. Moreno JB, Bengoechea C, Bravo J dan Berna JL. 2003. A contribution to understanding secondary reactions in linear alkylbenzene sulfonation.Journal of Surfactants and Detergents, 6 (2) : 137 – 142.
5. Nedjhioui M, Moulai-Mostefa N, Morsli A dan Bensmaili A. 2005. Combined effects of polymer/surfactant/oil/alkali on physical chemical properties.Desalination, 185 : 543 – 550.