Abstract: nowadays, data information is the most important element that financial and banking systems possesses. It is difficult to take good decisions without information. Also it is not possible to obtain appropriate information without adequate information systems. The basic concept of an information system is to provide accurate and relevant information at the proper time at all levels of management. Banking system in Albania has given a great importance to the implementation of management information systems. The purpose of this study is: 1.To identify usage level of management information systems in commercial banks in Albania, for planning and decision making.2.To assess the use of the functions offered by these information systems and to identify the reasons of disuse or dysfunction of these systems. This study aims to define the role of Management Information System in banking system in Albania. The first phase of this study was the distribution of questionnaires in commercial banks in Albania, by evaluating the current situation of MIS. The collected data were analyzed to identify the usage level of MIS in commercial banks in Albania. Also we want to specify what actions should be taken in order to implement a MIS system that can provide efficient information in base of the environment requirements and support the decision-making process. In order to achieve our goal, we have been focused in some aspects: 1. Is MIS implemented in banking system in Albania? 2. Identifying the factors that affect the quality of information produced by MIS. 3. Evaluate the importance of MIS in decision-making process. As result, we can specify and that management information systems have an important role in obtaining good information for an efficient decision making process.MIS is used to create reports for specific needs (financial and treasury) which get data from different sources and different files, eliminating manual work and so many human errors that can be made if these reports are manually processed. Voluminous data cannot be managed as proper information for the reporting process without MIS. Assuring qualitative and quantitative data from MIS with proper timely information helps managers in decision-making.
Keywords: Banking System, Commercial Bank, MIS (Management Information System), Planning.
1. Ajayi, I. A. and Omirin, Fadekemi F. (2007). The Use of Management Information Systems (MIS) In Decision Making In the South-West Nigerian Universities, Educational Research and Review, Vol. 2, No. 5, pp. 109-116.
2. Akram Jalal Karim “The significance of Management Information Systems for enhancing strategic and tactical planning”. JISTEM J.Inf.Syst. Technol. Manag. (Online) Vol. 8, No. 2, 2011, p. 459-470. ISSN online: 1807-1775.
3. Baskerville, R.L. and Myers, M.D., (2002), Information systems as a reference discipline. MIS Quarterly, 26(1), 1–14.
4. G.Satyanarayana Reddy (2009). Management information system to help managers for providing decision making in an organization. International Journal of Reviews in Computing, ISSN: 2076-3328.
5. Kozak S. (2005). The role of information technology in the profit and cost efficiencyimprovements of the banking sector. February 2005, Journal of Academy of Business and Economics.
6. Laudon, Kenneth C.; Laudon, Jane P. (2009). Management Information Systems: Managing the Digital Firm (11 ed.).
7. Lucey, T. (1997) “Management Information Systems. London.
8. Lucey, T. (2004) “Management Information Systems”, Cengage Learning.
9. Lucey, T. (2005): Management Information Systems. London: Book Power.
10. O’Brien, J (1999). Management Information Systems – Managing Information Technology in the Internetworked Enterprise. Boston: Irwin McGraw-Hill.
11. Pride, WM, Hughes, RJ & Kapoor, JR, 2009, Business, Cengage Learning
12. Ralph M. Stair, George Reynolds, George W. Reynolds. (2009). Principle of Information Systems.
13. Daft. RL, Murphy, J & Willmott, H, 2010, Organisation Theory and Design, Cengage Learning
14. Rimvydas Skyrius (2013). The Development of Management Information Needs. International Journal of Artificial Intelligence and Interactive Multimedia, Vol. 2, Nº 3.